The National Academy Foundation is a nonprofit organization that supports over 660 career academies in high schools in 38 states. NAF reaches over 81,000 high school students nationwide in its work of preparing students for college and careers. Tanya Navas, the New York State Director, is responsible for supporting the close to 60 career academies in New York State, with about half of those concentrated in New York City.
In the interview, Tanya talks with Marie and Regina about the career fields that NAF focuses on, the in-school and out-of-school components of a NAF academy experience, and the value of a paid internship for students. She also tells anecdotes about NAF students that make it clear why the program is a real plus for both school districts and for students.
Listen to the podcast to find out about…
- Graduation rates and other success statistics from NAF academies
- The reactions of adult mentors who work with student interns in the workplace
- How an internship can turn a student’s life around
Connect with us through…
- Subscribing to NYCollegeChat on iTunes, Stitcher, or TuneIn!
- Following us on Twitter @NYCollegeChat
- Reviewing parent materials we have available at Policy Studies in Education
- Inquiring about our consulting services if you need individualized help
- Following us on Facebook
Ask your questions or share your feedback by…
- Emailing us at email@example.com to ask a question if you want us to answer it privately